Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jarrard Anthony - "Ready To Live" - Out Now!

Every once in a while an indie soul album will come along that totally blows me away! Honestly, I didn't know what to expect from Ready To Live. All I knew was that I wanted to press play, sit back and listen to a full album without having to skip songs. Didn't want to have to 'cherry pick' songs from the project and make my own EP. Too many potentially good albums are, in my opinion, ruined when there is no fluidity to the album. I consider myself a professional listener (everybody can't be an artist) so I know 'filler' songs when I hear it.

Well, this is not the case with Ready To Live, the new album by singer/songwriter/musician and Richmond, Virginia native Jarrard Anthony. I knew from the first song, Lucky Day, that it was indeed my 'lucky day' to have been blessed with this amazing new album. I could feel that I was in store for a smooth, soulful excursion with a nice pinch of jazz sprinkled in. Jarrard Anthony has been working the scene for several years but this may very well be his break out release. Ready To Live is contemporary soul at its finest and Jarrard Anthony's voice is warm and enticing with just enough soulful depth on every song to make this album an instant classic. None of the songs on the album feel forced or out of place making Ready To Live a genuine, must have album and a totally satisfying listening experience.

Ready To Live also boasts some very talented artists and legendary musicians that step in to round out the album. Lucky Day features New York-based pianist, composer, and bandleader Onaje Allan Gumbs (Norman Connors, Roy Ayers, Phyllis Hyman) and I Love You features Richmond, Virginia native and legendary jazz keyboardist Lonnie Liston Smith. I Love You is a cover and tribute to the late, great jazz-funk pianist/composer/playwright and Hampton, Virginian Weldon Irvine and also features native Virginian singer Patrice Covington and New York-based flutist Monet. Other wonderful talents that grace Ready To Live are Amer Amen, Amma Whatt, Darien, Eric Roberson, Jon Bibbs and Wildman.

Going forward I consider this album a blueprint for indie contemporary soul albums. Listen and you'll understand.

Download a nicely priced MP3 version of Ready To Live from the On The Verge Music Store powered by Amazon

Purchase a nicely priced physical CD of Ready To Live from Dusty Groove

Jarrard Anthony Official Website

Jarrard Anthony on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Thank you so much for co-signing this album. It is so appreciated it.

    ~J. Langston

    ReplyDelete